Confessions of a "Phobe-of-some-sort"

I have to confess that I have a bit of a phobia of bathroom talk. Some people who know me well would likely call me prudish because I don’t tolerate most current TV shows or movies by certain actors that seem to thrive on the subject. Part of what attracted me to my husband is his decorum in this area (I won’t lie...that and his hefty bank account). I’d like to think it’s because I grew up this way, with bathroom humour not considered acceptable dinner conversation...whatever the reason, it is just not something I can tolerate.

Now normally this is not even worthy of mention. However, it does pose a bit of a problem when said “potty-mouth-a-phobe” is trying to toilet train her toddler. Actually, I should reword that. She is actually training herself...apparently I am just along for the ride. Perhaps she is on to me and has figured out that since I am often flying by the seat of my pants when it comes to the mom thing, this is one developmental milestone she will just have to conquer herself. I should have listened to the voice in my head that warned me not to bring home the potty, because she took one look at it and got to work...leaving me standing in the middle of the room wishing I would have read a book, sought out wise counsel, or at least considered the repercussions of my actions before tossing this monkey wrench into the fine running machine that we call my life.

Suddenly I am using these unpalatable words on a daily-no, hourly –basis. I, formerly Miss Manners, is now dancing around the living room celebrating my daughter’s successes and shouting from the rooftops what she has done. Meanwhile my husband is shaking his head and wondering if this is indeed the time where I will end up in a place that forces me to cut my steak with a spoon.

I’m shaking my head too. My kids have rocked my world...they have changed every part of me- from my anatomy to my vocabulary (nearly A to Z)!! I’d laugh, but I just don’t have the time for such triviality. My daughter has found her bath baby and decided her little brother is ready for a science lesson. YIKES!!

Comments

Amanda said…
Way to go Molly!
And watch out Henry! Not sure what Molly has up her sleeves! Haha!

Popular Posts