Oh For the Love of Food...

I love food. And most of the time, it’s not the stuff that’s good for me that is occupying my thoughts and cravings. Seriously, in the last two weeks of my second pregnancy I think I ate a Snickers bar every day. And while lately I have been able to restrain (with some success) this love affair, I still fondly remember the days when I could eat whatever and whenever I wanted. I mean really...what’s not to love about food?

That’s what I’ve been asking my 6 month old son. He (for some unknown reason) did not inherit my genetic code for the love of food. In fact...he actually seems to be offended by it! The odd time the food actually makes it off the spoon and into his mouth we are rewarded with a dramatic presentation of facial expressions running the gamut from shock to downright abhorrence.

It started when he was about 5 months old and I decided it was time to start the ugly job of introducing him to cereal. I would have waited, but he had been showing a keen interest in whatever the rest of the family was eating...and I guess he decided that what’s good for the goose is good for the gosling. So after he successfully managed to snag a taste of his sister’s cucumber slice, a haagen dazs ice cream bar, a lemon and his dad’s honey cruller, I figured I’d better get on with it.

That was a little over 5 weeks ago. And let’s just say that the relationship has not blossomed. Perhaps it’s because he had a taste of the finer things in life first. I mean...who on earth would choose pureed peas from the buffet, when they have already whet their palate with a six dollar ice cream bar? In any case, I’ve now tried a veritable plethora of flavours and textures; homemade and store bought. He’s turned down everything from sweet potatoes to blueberries to chicken and vegetables. He does, however, seem to be very interested in eating his fist, a plastic toy snake he found in his sister’s toy box, and the electricity bill.

Fortunately I am not a first time Mom and have yet to lose any sleep over his strangely discriminatory taste buds. Surely someday he will decide to eat. I believe it is well documented that by the age of 16 most boys will eat anything and everything. For now, I am attempting to take it all in stride as I continue my quest for something he finds palatable. Besides, if worse comes to worse...I figure I can always try a Snickers bar.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love your blog!!!

Better snickers than fish sandwiches from Mcdonalds. I was sometimes eating two of those a day with Theo....gross!
Anonymous said…
Alex only ate Peanut butter sandwiches on wonder bread and chips ahoy cookies for about 20 years. He seems to be okay.

Popular Posts