Beautiful
My daughter takes my breath away. She is beautiful inside and out and I am amazed daily at what a brilliant creature she is. Not only does she make me laugh hysterically...but she often brings me to my knees in wonder and awe with the intricacies of her thinking and understanding (when she’s not reducing me to tears with her tiring antics and iron will.)Today was no exception.
This morning as I finished doing her hair we entered into our routine banter...the same conversation we have every morning after I have combed, clipped and coerced her hair into submission. As I put on the final touches I say, “Now look at Mommy.” She looks at me, bats her camel-like eyelashes and asks, “pretty?” and without hesitation I say, “Beautiful!” Then she runs off to make-believe or make a mess (usually one or the other), and I continue on with the morning routine.
But this morning she caught me off guard. Before running off she turned back to me with one parting thought. She levelled her gaze at me and offered, “Jesus made me beautiful!”
I was rendered speechless – uncharacteristically so. I had no words. I stood there with my mouth open while she skipped off to bop her brother on the head with her dolly.
Perhaps she was merely attempting to keep my pride in check...informing me that my skills with hairspray and a blow dryer leave something to be desired. But maybe – just maybe - she has stumbled upon something a lot bigger...something I hope she understands and believes with all her heart at a very young age...something of worth and esteem.
The cognitive development of a toddler is mind boggling. One minute, they can’t figure out how to keep the drool from escaping their mouth, and the next they are solving the world’s hunger problems or composing deep, philosophical thoughts they toss out like candy at a parade.
Jesus did make her beautiful. Stunning, in fact...and I’m usually the one who is stunned.

Comments