Change
When it comes to raising kids, the only thing that is certain is that change is inevitable.
The minute your 2 month old begins to sleep through the night, they begin teething and you are lying awake with them for half of the night on the nursery floor.
Just when you sort out nap schedules into a wonderful, predictable rhythmn, they go through an "I only nap for 45 minutes at a time" phase.
After struggling through the introduction of solid foods, and you reach the place where your infant will eat anything and everything set before him...he turns 2 and instantly morphs into a picky eater.
Right about the time you have established who is the boss and therefore wears the pants in the family...your baby learns the dreaded word, "No."
And on and on it goes. Whenever you find yourself going through a phase where everything is going great, routines are smooth, behaviour and sleep habits are predictable...LOOK OUT!! Change is probably just around the corner. And sad as it may sound, instead of realizing it for the developmental milestone it is...even seasoned Moms find themselves asking, "What's going on? And how can I make things go back to the way they were?"
I'm coming out of a phase like that. Everything has been going smoothly around here. My daughter's "teachable two's" phase has been quite moderate thus far (don't worry, I am not holding my breath), my son actually started eating solids and sleeping through the night, and lately I haven't felt completely overwhelmed with the charge of chasing after 2 under 2.
With that said...the dragon of "change" has been breathing down the back of my neck. I've known it was coming and instead of dreading it, I've been trying to cherish the more manageable pace of this phase.
As it turns out...the change is a big one. And it's more than just changing sleep patterns or an emerging preschool behaviour trait. No, we're talking the kind of change that picks up an entire family, carries them across an ocean and deposits them on a "not-so-sandy" beach far from the support of friends and family.
I have a feeling sleeping through the night and toddler temper tantrums are the least of my worries.
If you want to follow a more personal look at our life and where it is taking us...send me an email with your address to septfamilyblog@gmail.com and I'll send you the invite.
The minute your 2 month old begins to sleep through the night, they begin teething and you are lying awake with them for half of the night on the nursery floor.
Just when you sort out nap schedules into a wonderful, predictable rhythmn, they go through an "I only nap for 45 minutes at a time" phase.
After struggling through the introduction of solid foods, and you reach the place where your infant will eat anything and everything set before him...he turns 2 and instantly morphs into a picky eater.
Right about the time you have established who is the boss and therefore wears the pants in the family...your baby learns the dreaded word, "No."
And on and on it goes. Whenever you find yourself going through a phase where everything is going great, routines are smooth, behaviour and sleep habits are predictable...LOOK OUT!! Change is probably just around the corner. And sad as it may sound, instead of realizing it for the developmental milestone it is...even seasoned Moms find themselves asking, "What's going on? And how can I make things go back to the way they were?"
I'm coming out of a phase like that. Everything has been going smoothly around here. My daughter's "teachable two's" phase has been quite moderate thus far (don't worry, I am not holding my breath), my son actually started eating solids and sleeping through the night, and lately I haven't felt completely overwhelmed with the charge of chasing after 2 under 2.
With that said...the dragon of "change" has been breathing down the back of my neck. I've known it was coming and instead of dreading it, I've been trying to cherish the more manageable pace of this phase.
As it turns out...the change is a big one. And it's more than just changing sleep patterns or an emerging preschool behaviour trait. No, we're talking the kind of change that picks up an entire family, carries them across an ocean and deposits them on a "not-so-sandy" beach far from the support of friends and family.
I have a feeling sleeping through the night and toddler temper tantrums are the least of my worries.
If you want to follow a more personal look at our life and where it is taking us...send me an email with your address to septfamilyblog@gmail.com and I'll send you the invite.

Comments