The King's Gardener

A month ago, while packing up my entire house of belongings, I was aware of the all too familiar strains of frustration coming across in my tone as I assured my daughter (for the 400th time!) that no, I could not come and colour a rainbow with her. As I heard myself belt out, “I have important things to do, you know!” A voice from within (no, not those kind of voices…mind you, I do remember feeling a bit insane in the moment) spoke loud and clear.

“Of course you have important things to do…You need to sit and play with your daughter!”

I was sufficiently rebuked. And needless to say, I immediately dropped the packing paper and tape gun and sidled up next to her, singing the Rainbow Song while we used our markers to create vivid prisms of colour, dancing across the page. We talked about the different colours and how God created the rainbow as a promise to us that the earth would never flood again as it did in the days of Noah. It wasn’t an in-depth theological survey, just a matter of fact discussion that led us in a tangent about a boy at playgroup that week – who happened to be named Noah – and how he made some questionable choices involving sharing toys and using the combination of his forefinger and nose inappropriately. Not a discussion directly related to rainbows, but important, nonetheless. In hindsight, probably even more important than packing boxes…even though that seemed all consuming at the time.

Ever since that day, I have caught myself with that thought, over and over again. Wishing my kids would play independently or solve their own problems, so that I could have a few minutes to tackle some of the “important things” I need to do that day. Somehow all the work on the perimeter of motherhood climbs up the list to the top spot…and the pivotal task of the job is left buried somewhere underneath…at times considered an inconvenience.

God has since put me in an interesting position where much of that extraneous work has been stripped away. Today I find myself in a house half the square feet of my previous one...my list of cleaning dramatically shortened. Meals are prepared for me and other than emptying my tray in the cafeteria’s dish line, I find myself no longer a slave to kitchen preparation and clean-up. Even the laundry isn’t piling up the way it used to, since our closets currently contain only the bare minimum of what we need to survive. My church nursery duties are non-existent for now. I no longer even have friends and family to divide my time between (other than the odd email and phone call).

I literally have nothing to do. Other than raise my children, that is. These days the entirety of my time and energy during the day goes into my kids; blowing bubbles, digging in the sand, answering the big questions about life, drawing the most beautiful rainbows, and talking about God’s promises! And although it sometimes gets to be too much and I long for adult conversation (and a break!!), I try to remind myself that the time I am putting in right now is affecting my children’s futures in big ways. I am thankful to God for taking me out of my comfort zone to realign some of my priorities. And someday all too soon, I will be back in a place where the peripheral tasks of motherhood will once more require my attention. So for now, I must enjoy the focus my life has. And perhaps prepare to enter back into “normal” life with a better handle on the priorities of Motherhood.

Not a day goes by that someone doesn’t ask me what my role is here in this place. I have recently quit answering, “Nothing!..Just taking care of the kids,” as time and time again, someone has assured me that I am doing the most important job of anyone here on campus! I am beginning to learn that the REAL answer to the question is, “I am a gardener. One of great significance...lovingly tending to and growing beautiful, healthy and fruitful children.”




(*NOTE: I spend much time praying that God would give me the words that you moms out there need to hear. But today I must confess that as I typed the last period to this post, my heart was convicted...these were the words MY heart needed so desperately to hear, whisperings deep into my tired and confused soul. A quiet reprimand to, “walk the talk.”

And the reality of it is...there will always be other things that need to get done. Sometimes they can slide, sometimes they can’t. I guess the point of this is just a reminder that those things are still peripheral in their importance. Sadly, I have forgotten that point time and time again as I momentarily view my children as a distraction or disturbance while I toil away at some of those other mundane tasks that generally end up on my plate.

Please know that you ARE doing the most important job...wherever you are! And I know it’s a tough one. You and I typically do more in one day than most people do in their 40 hour work week! Your vocation as Mom requires you to have knowledge and capability in nearly 25 other fields of study. There will never be enough time in the day to accomplish everything the role of Mother requires of you. There is, however, always PLENTY of time to love on your kids. And THAT is the crux of the job. Families, communities and the WORLD are relying on you to do it well. The future of this planet is (in a way) in your hands, Mom! Slightly intimidating, no?

Don’t be intimidated, be encouraged. After all...I was.)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank you again Karalyn for your encouraging and convicting post! Just what I needed to hear, and it's always so good to know someone out there is going through the same things and has the same "inner voice" I hear often!

Popular Posts