Recommended Reading

Like many of you with little ones at home, life seems crazy these days.  I'm struggling to keep up with the changing attitudes, behaviours and developmental milestones and sometimes, like yesterday, it just all seems a bit much.

Those are the days I lose my mind and my carefully crafted image of a parent in control comes crashing down in the middle of the living room...usually somewhere around 4:15pm.  Yesterday after one of those moments I gathered my kids on the sofa and told them Mommy was the one needing an attitude adjustment.  We prayed a bit, talked a bit, laughed a bit and even tickled a bit.  Then I put dinner in the oven and Veggie Tales in the DVD player and headed for my Bible.

For me, the best attitude adjustment comes after spending a little time reminding myself that He is God and I am not.  Sounds simple...but it pretty much covers it all.  I ended up in Isaiah, and as I flipped through I couldn't help but pause at chapter 40.  The words of the first two verses have been significant and life-giving to me for over 13 years now.  I kept reading and happened upon a verse that a dear friend quoted to me last Fall.  The words seemed to be just what this tired Mama needed to hear at 4:15pm and I thought I'd pass it along to you:

"Yes the Sovereign LORD is coming in all his glorious power.  He will rule with awesome strength.  See, he brings his reward with him as he comes.  He will feed his flock like a shepherd.  He will carry the lambs in his arms, holding them close to his heart.  He will gently lead the mother sheep with their young."(40:10-11)


I don't know about you, but this mother sheep is in dire need of some gentle leading these days!  I kept reading, feeling re-charged as the image the prophet is painting becomes clear in my mind: a vivid picture of our great and awesome God.  I finally came to the well-known end of the chapter, buoyed by the remembrance that my God never grows faint or weary.  That He gives power to "those who are tired and worn-out"(uh...that would be me).  That He offers strength to the weak (it's 4:15pm...you bet I'm weak!).

SO there you have it.  From one faint and weary mom to another...Isaiah 40!  I highly recommend it.

Comments

Jeka said…
oh Karalyn. Thank you so much for sharing - it brought tears to my eyes as this was a struggle for me this week as well. I will definitely be posting this verse somewhere in my home for a gentle reminder and encouragement.
hope you guys are doing well...

Popular Posts