Every Story Whispers His Name...

My Mom bought my kids this Bible for Christmas in 2009.  Since then it has been read and re-read, over and over, start to finish countless times by our family.  This Christmas we had to order a new copy from Amazon, since the binding had finally fallen apart on our initial copy.  It is our go-to "before bed read," and I can't stop recommending it to other families. 
It has given our children a love for the Bible.  It's brought Truth and Love to life for them. And I have to admit that by the end of each story I am usually choking back tears thanks to a renewed knowledge of God's love for me...how He set out to rescue us from the very beginning!  It is moving and inspirational...but more amazing is that it is truth!  Written for us!


We have been so blessed by this book and believe it is a powerful way for families to not only teach their children the truths of the Bible, but to help them learn from an early age that The Bible is one story with one message; each verse, chapter, book and testament united in purpose and there for a reason.
 
The Deluxe Edition comes with narrated CD's, so you can listen to it and follow along in the Bible itself.  The reading is done by David Suchet, accomplished British actor made famous by the series, Poirot.   The narration is done brilliantly, but at times even I have a hard time deciphering his strong British accent.  Also, there is no signalling when to turn the page...a helpful feature for young children attempting to follow along with the pictures.  However, someday as our children are older, I know we will attempt to use the CD's again.  I would suggest around the age of 7 perhaps.
I highly recommend this Bible as a tool for parents in their mission to disciple their children.  Hey, it's even great for adults who have lost or not yet found a love for or Big Picture understanding of God's Word.  I'll leave you for now with the prologue:
God wrote, "I love you" - He wrote it in the sky, and on the earth, 
and under the sea.  He wrote his message everywhere!  
Because God created everything in his world to reflect Him like a mirror - to show us what He is like, to help us know Him, to make our hearts sing.
 And God put it into words, too, and wrote it in a book called,
"The Bible."
Now, some people think the Bible is a book of rules, telling you what you should and shouldn't do.  The Bible certainly does have some rules in it.  They show you how life works best.  But the Bible isn't mainly about you and what you should be doing.  It's about God and what He has done.
Other people think the Bible is a book of heroes, showing you people you should copy.  The Bible does have some heroes in it, but (as you'll soon find out) most of the people in the Bible aren't heroes at all.  They make some big mistakes (sometimes on purpose).  They get afraid and run away.  At times they are downright mean. 
No, the Bible isn't a book of rules, or a book of heroes.  The bible is most of all a Story.  It's an adventure story about a young Hero who comes from a far country to win back his lost treasure.  It's a love story about a brave Prince who leaves his palace, his throne - everything - to rescue the one he loves.  It's like the most wonderful of fairy tales that has come true in real life!  You see, the best thing about this Story is - it's true!  There are lots of stories in the Bible, but all the stories are telling one Big Story.  The Story of how God loves his children and comes to rescue them.  
It takes the whole Bible to tell this Story.  And at the centre of the Story, there is a baby.  Every story in the Bible whispers his name.  He is like the missing piece in a puzzle  - the piece that makes all the other pieces fit together, and suddenly you can see a beautiful picture.  And this is no ordinary baby.  This is the Child upon whom everything would depend.  This is the Child who would one day - but wait.
Our Story starts where all good stories start.  
Right at the very beginning...
(Sally Lloyd-Jones,  The Jesus StoryBook Bible)
 


Comments

Anonymous said…
I agree, it is SO good. Gets me too. I think it would be awesome for someone exploring faith too if they are into children's literature. It is a beautiful book. My 3 year old son adores it.
kelly ens said…
Thanks for sharing this - we've been on the lookout for a new devotional book for the kids :)
kelly ens said…
I just went and picked this one up today - so excited to start it! Thanks :)
Anonymous said…
I bought this for my nephew for his birthday and loved flipping through it. We have the devotional book called, "Long Story Short" and it is GREAT! It's also based on how every story points forward to Jesus... I would definitely recommend it as your kids get a bit older.
KaraLyn said…
Kelly - hope your kids enjoy it as much as ours! Thanks Laura...will definitely look up "Long Story Short!"

Popular Posts