Harvest
Peonies rank among my favorite perennials. I have planted one at every house I have ever owned, and yet never lived in any of those homes long enough to enjoy a blossom.
Until now.
We are back in Canada for a few months and living in a home we purchased almost 2 years ago in the dead of winter. A thick blanket of snow covered the property and other than the protruding apple trees, saskatoon and raspberry bushes, we were unaware of the jewels hiding on the property...planted long ago and tended by a loving, skilled gardener. That is, as I said...until now.
I had nothing to do with the planting of these flowers, but I am reaping the full reward these days. Watching them open, drinking in their God-given scent and seeing them sit upon my counter top bring me so much joy. They are mine. And I am home. I hope that the dear gardener that sowed these "seeds" can see from above how much I am thankful for this harvest...for the work she put in faithfully to bring these plants to this point. I hope I can continue tending them in a manner that will ensure many more years enjoying of this beautiful creation of God.
The experience has reminded me of Jesus' discussion with his disciples in John 4 about "The Harvest." And it's got me thinking about the cooperative effort of our mission. My mission as a Mom. As I raise my kids I know that some days require hours of exhausting, dirty, planting. Sometimes I see a seedling and I'm watering/fertilizing like crazy and on some rare occasions I plant, water, and harvest in the same day...Glory! But other times, it can feel like I'm accomplishing nothing towards a harvest of attitude, behaviour and character. Do you ever feel like you are sowing the same old seeds day after day, week after week and NOTHING is taking root?
The peonies have encouraged me to keep watering the soil of my children's hearts, keep trusting the Master Gardener to germinate the seed, and do all I can to ensure the conditions are optimal. And to not be discouraged when a pruning is necessary...as it will benefit me and the "plant" in the long run.
I may never reap the full harvest of some of these seeds of character I'm trying to plant in my children. In some cases, it may take years to see the fruit. All I can do is pray that right now I stay the course, faithfully tending this garden of children that God has lovingly gifted to me. Wherever I'm at in the harvest...near the beginning or near the end, my work is valuable and yet unfinished! And as Jesus encouraged His disciples, "What joy awaits both the planter and the harvester alike!" -John 4:37nlt
These days, walking past the peonies reminds me to do just that - do the work now that will someday contribute to a fruitful harvest. It's good to have reminders like this...and a blessing to receive them wrapped in such beautiful packaging!
Until now.
We are back in Canada for a few months and living in a home we purchased almost 2 years ago in the dead of winter. A thick blanket of snow covered the property and other than the protruding apple trees, saskatoon and raspberry bushes, we were unaware of the jewels hiding on the property...planted long ago and tended by a loving, skilled gardener. That is, as I said...until now.
I had nothing to do with the planting of these flowers, but I am reaping the full reward these days. Watching them open, drinking in their God-given scent and seeing them sit upon my counter top bring me so much joy. They are mine. And I am home. I hope that the dear gardener that sowed these "seeds" can see from above how much I am thankful for this harvest...for the work she put in faithfully to bring these plants to this point. I hope I can continue tending them in a manner that will ensure many more years enjoying of this beautiful creation of God.
The experience has reminded me of Jesus' discussion with his disciples in John 4 about "The Harvest." And it's got me thinking about the cooperative effort of our mission. My mission as a Mom. As I raise my kids I know that some days require hours of exhausting, dirty, planting. Sometimes I see a seedling and I'm watering/fertilizing like crazy and on some rare occasions I plant, water, and harvest in the same day...Glory! But other times, it can feel like I'm accomplishing nothing towards a harvest of attitude, behaviour and character. Do you ever feel like you are sowing the same old seeds day after day, week after week and NOTHING is taking root?
The peonies have encouraged me to keep watering the soil of my children's hearts, keep trusting the Master Gardener to germinate the seed, and do all I can to ensure the conditions are optimal. And to not be discouraged when a pruning is necessary...as it will benefit me and the "plant" in the long run.
I may never reap the full harvest of some of these seeds of character I'm trying to plant in my children. In some cases, it may take years to see the fruit. All I can do is pray that right now I stay the course, faithfully tending this garden of children that God has lovingly gifted to me. Wherever I'm at in the harvest...near the beginning or near the end, my work is valuable and yet unfinished! And as Jesus encouraged His disciples, "What joy awaits both the planter and the harvester alike!" -John 4:37nlt
These days, walking past the peonies reminds me to do just that - do the work now that will someday contribute to a fruitful harvest. It's good to have reminders like this...and a blessing to receive them wrapped in such beautiful packaging!

Comments
Yes, I love the peonies too! and your thoughts about them.......