What's on my Fridge

It's this.

After seeing this quote in three different places this week, I finally scribbled it down and tacked it up where I could see it every day this week.  I think it's a word I need to take to heart.

Perhaps it's all the New Year's buzz and my proclivity towards clean slates, do-overs and fresh-start-Septembers, but with all that I have been itching to tweak, fix, organize and be better at, a girl could get a little overwhelmed were it not for wise Spurgeon-isms like this.

I've always likened Teaching - and now mothering -  to juggling.  You can't always keep all the balls in the air.  Sometimes to keep certain balls going you'll drop others...but it doesn't mean you stop.  You don't ever stop.  You just keep juggling.  Then suddenly you notice the ball that you set aside temporarily and you realize you better pick it up and add it back into the mix for a while.  You might have to let another one fall in the process but it's always okay.  You know you'll pick that one up again when it really counts, and let's focus on the big picture here for a second...you're doing it!! Somehow you are doing it...you're juggling!  

No child will die from eating cereal for supper one night...you'll make it to the grocery store one day and then "balanced" meals will once again find their way to your table.  You're doing it. 

You won't be able to put all. that. laundry away every time it comes out of the dryer, but your kids are getting really good at finding their clean socks in the piles gracing the top of the washing machine.  You're doing it. 

It's not always possible to rise early enough to spend quantity and quality time with Jesus - and still get a workout and shower in before the pitter patter of little feet fill the quiet, but  in those moments on the drive to school when you start to pray aloud for your kids, for their day, for His abundance to flood your lack, don't you feel His Spirit move afresh in your heart...can't you see Him going before you?

And on the days you forgo the latter to devote yourself to the former, don't you see how being clothed in Christ changes the way you see yourself in the mirror - yesterday's clothes and hair and all?

You're doing it.

I can't do it all.  That's a given.  I woefully prove that point over and over and over again, week after week after God's-grace-covered week.  But what I can do, is keep on doing a little.

I'll surely drop a ball once in a while, you might too.  But let's not forget about all the ones we are skillfully keeping in the air.

We're doing it sister.  Somedays it might seem like so little.  But maybe if we just keep on doing the little...

One day we'll realize what a GREAT DEAL we've actually done.

Comments

Octoli Tuccu said…
Dear Karalyn, you are an epitome of grace and love. You emulate Jesus more than most people I know. I am not a mother but I would love to be someday and when I do, I will come back to this blog entry :)

Love to Molly, Henry, Tilly, Hati and Ryan. Thinking of you.
KaraLyn said…
Octoli, your words are far too kind. The only thing good in me is Christ and His Spirit alone and were it not for His love and grace...
We love and miss you and your consistent love for our children!!:) so exciting to hear how he's using you in India. Be blessed!:)
Unknown said…
Dear KaraLyn,
Truly one of the most encouraging I've read in a very very long time.
Just want to say Thank You!
God Bless.

Unknown said…
Dear KaraLyn,
Truly one of the most encouraging thing I've heard in a very very long time.
Thank you. God bless you.
Hitchie Mcgoo said…
Hey! So fun to read, glad Octoli shared it! I am NOT a mother, but the wisdom touches my heart as well... I appreciate the words and the grace and humor with which you write them. Very cool. Blessings to your family and shout out to your hubby... we just talked about him in staff meeting yesterday. xo Leah

Popular Posts