Beautiful Lessons from Beautiful Women

I've been trying to remember and celebrate recently.  To look back over my life and see God's faithful hand at work.  Recently I was reminded of something I wrote almost 5 years ago this summer after our family left our Hawaii home and moved back to Canada.

My own historical retrospective...an account of the women who influenced and encouraged my faith during our years in Kona.  This was a pivotal time in my faith journey and God used these women to teach me so much about life, faith and God Himself.  They lived a different kind of life than I was accustomed to.  Life didn't revolve around paint colours and countertop materials, about hair colour or the best place to go on vacation.  They didn't dress to impress other women...in fact, what you wore really didn't matter such that they never would have even thought to announce it.  They loved you to your face and your back, and they gave me a taste of real biblical fellowship based not on sameness, but on Jesus himself.

It's not that their lives weren't messy.  As a matter of fact they were vulnerable enough to share their sin genuinely.  It's just that they didn't glorify the mess in an attempt to feel better about it(think the Pinterest Fail phenomenon)...rather, their confession and repentance flowed out of hearts submitted to a loving God unwilling to let them stay in the mess of sin when it's His glory on the line.

They were among the most beautiful women I have known.  You should really meet them.

Mel taught me to talk to myself- to trash talk my flesh and claim victory over its common schemes.  She taught me to believe the best about people and to wonder what it might look like to live with an unoffendable heart.

Elin taught me that for all the eloquent talk...love simply looks like giving up your good seat for a stranger at Kindergarten graduation.

Sharee taught me to never assume.  And to not waste another minute, but to reach out always, to all, in all circumstances, else you miss out on a beautiful soul; someone who puts Jesus on like a cloak of love.

Jodi taught me that love initiates.  It doesn't sit and wait for opportunities to present themselves, but it hotly pursues others at all times.  She also taught me not to sweat the small stuff(read small people)...nothing preserves love in a family like a calm and patient Mom.  Even if she does carry a wooden spoon in her purse.

Brooke taught me that my role as wife and mother is my primary ministry.  That the neighbours I'm called to love first and the disciples I'm making are the ones clinging to my legs.

Karis taught me to look at problems as opportunity for solutions.  She taught me it was great to be almost 40 in a world of 20somethings and she encouraged me to walk in my gifts, because I exist to bring Him glory.  The end.

Allison taught me to never miss an opportunity to extend solidarity in the form of a hug.  And she also taught me the simple and yet beautiful value of dressing our 6 year old daughters to look like 6 year olds.

Sara taught me to live with the gospel at the center.  And to find friends who carry wooden spoons in their purses.

Holly taught me to give.  And when you've given everything you think you can, to give some more and yet more.  And to trust that God will fill you up as needed...so He can give again.

Esther taught me the value of getting to the heart of things quickly.  There are burdens to bear and hurts to love on and we best not waste time on not being intentional in our relationships.

HyeBin taught me to reach out, beyond expected circles and to be blessed by the kindred spirits you will find whose hearts will rally yours as you run your race together.

Natalie taught me to not fret the years to come...her outlook on change and new seasons encouraged me to embrace new adventure and always view it as new opportunity to tell my story of God's grace.

Missy taught me not to wait too long to talk to the woman sitting next to you or you will regret it later.  She also taught me that how and what I think is going to change my life.

Quezia taught me about real passion...to attack the tasks before me with the vigor of a Brazilian, and to serve the Lord with a glad heart.  It makes a difference.

Jan taught me to have a gentle heart towards all God's creatures, and to extend that gentle heart to the people sitting next to me.  She taught me that sometimes to cry with someone is the best way to carry their burden.

YoungBok taught me to be more diligent to lift up my friends and their struggles to the Lord.  To care for them by keeping them at the top of my prayer list.

Christina taught me to remind the women around me of their beauty, worth, and gifts, every chance I get.  Because I saw how those words can buoy a faltering heart, how loving like that can lighten someone's next step.

Rosa taught me that God's not too big to supply even the smallest of needs.  Shampoo, a hair brush...hand lotion.  To ask for His provision in the small things is a big way to acknowledge my dependence on Him.

I miss these women.

Many of them might never know the way God used them to influence my heart.  That I still read this list from time to time and remember His grace in bringing our lives together for a season.  That although I have little contact with most of them anymore their names occupy space in my mind and my prayers from time to time.

I'm so grateful for all they taught me.  I haven't learned all these lessons, and so God has faithfully brought other women into my life to pick up where there is still so much to learn.

They too are among the most beautiful women I have ever met.  Perhaps someday I'll introduce you.



Comments

Popular Posts