Re:thinking Greatness on the Shores of the Pacific


Much is written on social media of the greatness of man. You needn’t scroll far to  find a message declaring your inner strength, immense potential and innate power. We want fame, recognition, and to be “known.” In short, we want to be great. 

As I stood on the shores of the Pacific this week, with nothing but sand, sea and sky in view I became suddenly aware that nature herself can’t help but proclaim an opposing narrative.  What was glaringly obvious there on that stretch of sand was how so very small I was in light of the enormity of it. And if so insignificant as compared to the creation, then how much smaller in light of the Creator Himself?

The thing is, recognizing how very small you are doesn’t necessarily have the devastating effect one might think. Rather, seeing God for who He truly is and therefore your rightful place as His (beloved!) creation in this Kingdom that is gloriously all about Him produces an altogether different feeling; a deep soul rest that accompanies the posture of humility.  In that place of owning your smallness there is life-giving peace. 

I feel like I need to stand in such a place more often. Perhaps we all do. 


Comments

Popular Posts