Day 6: In (the) Heaven(s)
As I sat in quarantine this spring, making my way through The Lord’s Prayer, this little phrase “in heaven” was probably the line that changed my prayer life in the most practical way. And it all started with me being fascinated by the original audience's more simple understanding of this phrase as God being "in the heavens" or "the skies" or even "the air."
I had been spending the year reading historic prayers of the Church, an attempt to move outside my comfort zone and not just form prayers but be formed by them. I found it interesting the way the early contemplative christian tradition so often used the simple act of breathing as a practical way to focus and abide in prayer. As a child of the 70’s and 80’s I know full well how the New Age Movement, the rise of eastern mysticism and more recent trends towards Mindfulness have given many Christians pause(me included!) when it comes to talking about breathing and prayer in the same sentence. Yet here were these men and women of old; lovers of God, actually dwelling in His Presence and leading me into it like it was the most natural thing. Rather than fast and on-the-fly- text messages, or loud and repetitive pleading, their prayers were more like long and thoughtful hand-written letters compelled out of love not duty. And as they reminded me to slow down and just breathe before I began to pray, I found my distractions lessen and I was able to be more present and focused. I began to feel like I had actually spent time with Jesus through my prayer time. It sounds so pitiful...I'm sure lots of you are wondering how I didn't know this already! But I have to be honest, It's not unlike me to open my Bible during my morning quiet time and end up getting really excited about something I observe in the text. This results in me chasing all kinds of powerful tangents, which causes me to spend the whole time figuring out how I can incorporate my learning into whatever I am currently teaching. Sad to say, I can get so absorbed in learning about God that I leave little time to actually be with Him.
So back to the Contemplatives and their ease of prayer and presence. Can we think about breathing for a minute(is that a strange question)? I think it's something we need to talk frankly about since our secular age has co-opted what is central to how we were created, and turned it from divine gift to just another mechanism of control. Trace it with me through the biblical story.
Genesis begins with God creating mankind from the dust and breathing life into newly formed nostrils. This seems to be common knowledge from this point forth. Job(a contemporary of Abraham) uses both Hebrew words for breath in his declaration "the Spirit of God has made me and the breath of the Almighty gives me life!" The Psalmists continue this refrain of God as both the giver (and taker) of breath. Then there's this amazing vision in Ezekiel 37. You've probably heard of it because it's a bit weird.
The Lord has just promised Ezekiel that He is going to restore His people by giving them a new heart and a new spirit(breath). Soon after, the LORD gives him a vision of a valley of dry bones. Long and weird story short, God tells Ezekiel that He is going to cause breath(spirit) to enter the bones and they will live. Ezekiel prophesies to it, God does it and well...that settles it. The bones come to life. By the breath of God.
Fast forward a bit to another weird story. It's John 20 and Jesus appears to His disciples after being raised from the dead. He sends them off to continue His work and before they go(here's where it gets weird) He breathes on them and says, "Receive the Holy Spirit." Now think with me for a moment. What might these jewish disciples think of when He does this...and then shortly after when the Holy Spirit falls on them like a violent rushing wind? I'm sure some of them were confused, but I have to think that a few of them saw these signs as proof that the new life promised by the prophets had indeed come. And as always, by the breath of God.
It's not rocket science that the simple act of breathing can do a lot for the inner person; calm nerves, bring peace, refocus attention, enable self-control, interrupt anger, inspire gentleness...and a whole lot more "kingdom fruit." The thing is, a secular society always wants the benefits of the kingdom without the King Himself.* I wonder if it’s time for followers of Jesus to reclaim breathing as divine gift? A simple way to remind ourselves that we are made from dust and given life by the breath of God. A practical way to slow down our body and our thoughts, focus our minds on the nearness of Our Father, rebel against the noise and pace of our culture and dwell in the satisfying presence of God.
Check out Ezekiel 37:1-14 today. You can find it here. Pay attention to the imagery of God's life giving breath. If you have time, read the entire chapter. If not, make sure you finish with 37:26-28. Consider what it means for God's dwelling place to be with you. What activities awaken you to His presence with you? What activities stifle it?
And finally, let's pray today to our Father in the Heavens;
Consider again that your gracious and compassionate God is as near to you as the sky or the air around you. Slow your body down and focus your mind on the fact that He is present with you in prayer. Sit in the knowledge that He is everywhere present, that even “the vastness of heaven cannot contain Him,” *** and yet He delights in being right there with you.
Now breathe. In and out...you know how it works. Let the simple, God-given act of breathing remind you that He breathes life into all things, and that by His Spirit, you are being made new from the inside out. Friend, don't be afraid to do this. God has made you more than just a mind or heart...He has made you a body with which you can interact with Him and His world. Present it to him "as a living sacrifice. This is our true worship."*** As you sit quietly, just breathe and think about what it means to be filled to full by the Spirit of God, to be seen and known by this Father who is slow to anger and rich in unfailing love.
Thanks for praying with me friend. Much love to you. We made it through the first line of Jesus' Prayer. On to hallowed things tomorrow!
* That right there is the brilliance of Australian pastor/teacher/author Mark Sayers.
** 2 Chronicles 2:6
*** Romans 12:1


Comments