Silence and Psalm 19

I’m still praying but I tried to spend August being quieter. Our world is noisy isn’t it?  It can get a bit too loud with so many raising voices and platforms and vying to be heard. And for good reasons too...but sometimes I wonder if kingdom living doesn’t look a bit opposite(as usual.)


So for that reason I tried to spend more time in silence. This is hard for me because I love words. I bit my tongue. I breathed more. I sat in prayer, body and pencil still. I waited. It was slow and sometimes I wanted to hurry it away with my own thoughts or words.


But I can see now how silence shapes. How if I’m not silent first I can’t hear anyone other than myself. It is doing something good to me. It leaves space for something- some One- to shape my heart in forms more beautiful than I could design.  A heart becoming more loving, a flooding sense of peace in the midst of difficulty, perspectives gently shifting from outrage to opportunity. 


This morning as I meandered through Psalm 19 I was struck by the God so powerful that his message goes out in such silence. How much greater is he than humanity who needs louder lips and little left unsaid in order to leave a legacy?!


The heavens declare his glory. Day and night. No speech, no words, no voice is heard. Yet their message has gone out to the whole world...to the ends of the earth. 


Psalm 19. Read it. This is your God. 


Comments

Popular Posts