Baby Steps

My life just got busier.
You guessed it...the unfortunate day finally arrived when my baby started crawling. And as I suspected, it was rather bittersweet. I can’t help but enjoy watching him explore this new world that has been opened up to him. Not to mention the fact that I feel slightly liberated now that I am not his sole mode of transportation. However, it saddens me to see him growing up so fast.
And I do mean fast.
Having an older sibling must do that to you. He has suddenly decided that he needs to keep up with his big sister. Conversely, with her little brother’s newfound mobility, she has determined to work harder to find her own space, and resorts to running upstairs into her room to play, or crawling up onto the couches to remain out of his reach.
He is undaunted. Five days after learning to crawl, he simply crawled right up the stairs after her and into her room. When she jumped up on the couch, he deftly pulled himself to his feet and creatively moved from the coffee table to the couch.
Ever since, we’ve been involved in a chase sequence that vaguely resembles an old Looney Toones episode. My daughter is running through the house, clutching her beloved toys protectively, my son determinedly crawling after her – his speed and squeals escalating with each resolute slap of his chubby hands on the hardwood floor. I am the caboose of this convoy…pulling him to safety before she unknowingly slams his little fingers in the door, assisting him in the trip down the stairs – something he has (thankfully) not yet attempted, and moving valuables clear of furtive hands; suddenly able to reach everything under the three and a half foot mark.
I haven’t had time for much else over the past seven days. This may be the first chance I’ve had to even sit down! Floors have gone without cleaning, the laundry baskets are overflowing and I am exhausted. Ironically, I am a slave to my little boy’s liberation.
On the upside, I think I may have lost five pounds.
You guessed it...the unfortunate day finally arrived when my baby started crawling. And as I suspected, it was rather bittersweet. I can’t help but enjoy watching him explore this new world that has been opened up to him. Not to mention the fact that I feel slightly liberated now that I am not his sole mode of transportation. However, it saddens me to see him growing up so fast.
And I do mean fast.
Having an older sibling must do that to you. He has suddenly decided that he needs to keep up with his big sister. Conversely, with her little brother’s newfound mobility, she has determined to work harder to find her own space, and resorts to running upstairs into her room to play, or crawling up onto the couches to remain out of his reach.
He is undaunted. Five days after learning to crawl, he simply crawled right up the stairs after her and into her room. When she jumped up on the couch, he deftly pulled himself to his feet and creatively moved from the coffee table to the couch.
Ever since, we’ve been involved in a chase sequence that vaguely resembles an old Looney Toones episode. My daughter is running through the house, clutching her beloved toys protectively, my son determinedly crawling after her – his speed and squeals escalating with each resolute slap of his chubby hands on the hardwood floor. I am the caboose of this convoy…pulling him to safety before she unknowingly slams his little fingers in the door, assisting him in the trip down the stairs – something he has (thankfully) not yet attempted, and moving valuables clear of furtive hands; suddenly able to reach everything under the three and a half foot mark.
I haven’t had time for much else over the past seven days. This may be the first chance I’ve had to even sit down! Floors have gone without cleaning, the laundry baskets are overflowing and I am exhausted. Ironically, I am a slave to my little boy’s liberation.
On the upside, I think I may have lost five pounds.

Comments