Watch and Learn

She was only 17 months old when we brought her little brother home from the hospital, but that did not stop my daughter from jumping in head first to the role of “Big Sister.” Being that she was obsessed with babies, she was delighted to have one of her own to play with. Since that day she has taken an active role in dressing, diaper changing, bathing and entertaining. In fact, it has become increasingly apparent that for the past ten months she has been a keen observer of every moment, a conscientious student of the “mothering process.”

Lately, watching her tend to her dolly is like looking in a mirror. She totes her “babe” around performing the monotonous details of diaper changing, napping, rocking, feeding, playing and the requisite bathroom breaks...while quoting motherly snippets of wisdom she has picked up along the way. “Good girl, baby! No feet on the table, Baby. Baby, don’t put your fingers in your nose.” And then there’s my personal favourite, “Baby, I am NOT happy!” She sings to her and sets a place for her at the dinner table, bargaining with her to eat “two more bites.” Yesterday she passed me in the hallway, shaking her head and muttering disappointedly, “Baby has to go to bed. Baby’s not listenin’ to Molly. Baby can’t have ice cream...”

The entire dramatic presentation possesses an uncanny similarity to something – or someone – strangely familiar. I’d love to say I can’t quite put my finger on what – or who – it is, thereby excusing myself from further scrutiny. But I know better. It’s all me (and a little of my husband – to be fair), and watching her makes me wonder, “Do I really say that? Have I actually done that?” She mimics everything down to the minute details; even the way I heft her brother up higher on my hip while carrying him around the kitchen...bearing all 18 pounds in one hand while unloading the dishwasher with the other. While such action is of little consequence in the broader scope, some of her mimicking causes me to sit up and take notice...like the way she reacts to her baby’s imaginary indiscretions. Yikes.

Once again, I’m humbled by it all (A few years ago when I asked God to help me deal with the issue of pride in my life, little did I know he would do it by sending me children!). There is nothing like watching a little “footage” of yourself in action to bring to light the areas of your performance needing some “tweaking.”

It makes me think twice about everything I say. Perhaps even watch my actions when I think no one else is watching. Because if there is one thing I am learning through all of this...it’s that when you’re a Mom, someone is ALWAYS watching.


Comments

Popular Posts