The Rainbow
Do your kids love rainbows? Mine do.
The beauty and wonder of a rainbow seem somehow heightened when you're viewing it with kids; their awe, delight and celebration of the colourful prism unabashedly proclaimed.
Have you seen a rainbow lately? I mean, really seen a rainbow?
Sometimes I wonder if the faith of a child sees the power in a rainbow's symbolism more acutely than my time-worn faith. Has the exhaustion of life calloused me a bit to the wonder of God's promise? Am I so busy drying everybody off after the flood, setting about getting a fire started to cook everyone a meal, or tidying up the mess that's left in the ark that I'm missing the rainbow God has placed in the sky?????
Do you know what the Bible says about the rainbow? Most people know it as a sign of God's promise to never flood the earth again and destroy man. But have you seen the words on the page? Do you know how God himself feels about the rainbow?? Genesis 9:16 says that when God sees the rainbow in the clouds, He will remember the eternal covenant between God and every living creature on earth. He remembers it!!! His covenant is eternal and He REMEMBERS it! Yes, the rainbow is a sign to us...but even more so: it's a sign unto God Himself!!
Surely when God looks down on the earth, He sees that man's wickedness is no better than it was in the days of Noah. Perhaps He even remembers the feeling He had way back in Genesis 6:6...it must continue to break his heart. Is He still sorry He ever created man?
I don't know. But what I do know is this: He sees the rainbow and remembers His eternal, unbreaking covenant with man. His covenant. With me.
And that, my friend, is worth a great deal of childlike awe, delight and thankful celebration.
| Rainbow on Route 250 - North Kohala, Big Island Hawai'i |

Comments