Like a Child
This is my 5 year old's doodling from last Sunday in church. I found it rolled up and tucked in my Bible after she was dismissed to Children's Church. I don't know about you, but my kids often serve as a poignant reminder to me of why Jesus told his disciples, "Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it”(Mark 10:15).
Perhaps we complicate things...put our own caveats or qualifications on commandments, justify our actions (or lack of action), or re-interpret scripture in a way that serves self more effectively. Whatever it is we adults do to complicate the Gospel, Jesus found cause to point out to His disciples that they (we!) ought to receive the kingdom in the same way a little child might.
Like this:
"Love others just like God did to us.
Do not be mean.
Do not be Jealous.
He died on the cross for our sins.
Do what God says.
Say I love You then others will do it.
'cuz the Bible tells you to.
Read your Bible."
Simple enough. But often easier received (and carried out!) by the 5 year old, than her prideful, self-absorbed, Gospel-complicating Mom.
Even so...I'm never too old for a gentle reminder.
Perhaps we complicate things...put our own caveats or qualifications on commandments, justify our actions (or lack of action), or re-interpret scripture in a way that serves self more effectively. Whatever it is we adults do to complicate the Gospel, Jesus found cause to point out to His disciples that they (we!) ought to receive the kingdom in the same way a little child might.
Like this:
"Love others just like God did to us.
Do not be mean.
Do not be Jealous.
He died on the cross for our sins.
Do what God says.
Say I love You then others will do it.
'cuz the Bible tells you to.
Read your Bible."
Simple enough. But often easier received (and carried out!) by the 5 year old, than her prideful, self-absorbed, Gospel-complicating Mom.
Even so...I'm never too old for a gentle reminder.


Comments