Inside Out

I heard the term, “Yummy Mommy” used the other day. Although I am not completely sure what all it takes to be classified as such, I think I know the type... they are the ones at the playground with the perfectly applied makeup, an outfit NOT covered in peanut butter handprints and any hairdo other than the standard ponytail. They likely even had a shower today!

I however, recently left my daughter’s swim lessons at the local YMCA, only to realize I still had my pajama bottoms on...inside out!! How I managed to leave all my dignity and sense of style on a bed in the hospital delivery room the day my daughter was born, I am not entirely sure; but suddenly personal hygiene has taken a back seat to other more pressing details. Oh, I still get my teeth brushed daily, and the basic deodorant and lip gloss are a must. However, there are many days that I have indeed fallen victim to the ponytail and favourite old baseball cap. In spite of all this, my daughter still has enough sense to pat my cheek with her delicate little hand and whisper, “Pretty Mommy!" And it goes without saying that my husband (bless his heart) considers me “yummy” even in my worst moments...I believe it was written into our wedding vows.

Don’t get me wrong...I do want to give thought and attention to my outwards appearance, and I certainly plan to do so (in a few years when I can shower without a little nose pressed up against the shower glass asking all sorts of interesting anatomy/physiology questions.) But for now, I am still trying to decide if I even want to be considered “yummy.”

To be honest, I think I spent far too much time worried about outside beauty in my 20’s, and now that I officially wield the title of “grown up,” I wonder if perhaps what makes me a “yummy mommy” has more to do with beauty on the inside...the kind of beauty that causes me to stop and think before yelling in frustration when my toddler unrolls the entire pack of toilet paper all over the bathroom floor. A beauty that affords me a second wind of patience when I am attempting to teach my 6 month old that cereal goes in your mouth, not in your hair. Something inside that makes me gather my 2 year old into my arms and use my quiet, “it’s okay, I still love you voice,” in the middle of yet another tantrum.

I think Proverbs refers to it as “strength and dignity;” two traits that I could definitely use more of on a daily basis...two traits that could definitely make me more “yummy...” (at least in my children’s eyes.) And I think I’m learning that a mom clothed in strength and dignity will outclass the mom clothed in LuLu and Hilfiger any day. Perhaps even if she’s sporting the old baseball cap and ponytail....and her pajama bottoms.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am looking forward to sweat pants and no make up days of my mat leave. Your blog makes me laugh and I always share bits with Kyle to let him laugh at parenthood too. Thanks for the alternative insight for us newbies to parenting.
Anonymous said…
I also hate, sorry DO NOT LIKE (we don't say that word...)the term "Yummy Mommy". You have defined it perfectly and I myself don't care to be one either. You cannot (in my opinion) play playdough, make cookies, and changed diapers successfully with gel nails while wearing stelletos!

Popular Posts