Resolutions
Here we are – a whole week into 2009 and I have yet to make my New Year’s Resolution. Not that there isn’t a myriad of possibilities floating around in my head, it’s just that I haven’t found time to give it due thought. I could blame it on the fact that I am still trying to recover from 2008, or that I recently returned from vacation and have been dealing with the laundry and “getting back into routine” aftermath of an extended trip away from home with two young children. Truth be told, I’m simply a procrastinator.
This brings me to “numero uno” on my list of Resolution possibilities. Stop procrastinating. However, if I choose that one, this book/blog will never get written. Writing happens to be my prime means of procrastination when there are other more important things to get done around the house. And that just wouldn’t be fair to you now would it?
Then there is the resolve to eat less, exercise more...but I prefer to be realistic about these things. Besides, I have an unfair advantage as I am spending the better part of my day chasing two little ones, packing around my 18lb. son, and elevating my heart rate through sheer frustration. Who needs a treadmill? Not to mention the fact that I am too busy cleaning up messes, shovelling food “airplane style” into little mouths and intercepting flying utensils to finish the food on my plate at any given meal.
You see my predicament? The list is long and inappropriate. Spend less money more wisely. Overdone. Take more time for myself. Highly unlikely. Grit my teeth less and count to ten first before yelling. Definitely one to consider; however as an educator I am well aware that goals should always be meaningful, measurable and MANAGEABLE. So on and on it goes.
I’m tempted to stick with my decision of prior years to go without a New Year’s Resolution. After all, my family seems to be making enough resolutions to go around. My husband has apparently resolved to assist me in gaining back all the weight I lost last year, by filling my Christmas stocking with a year’s supply of Ferrero Rocher, Lindt and Toffifee chocolate. My once happy, easy going son is resolving to cut all his teeth simultaneously... and generously ensuring the rest of us share in his pain and misery. And let us not forget my daughter, who has recently resolved to give up her nasty habit of daytime napping, thereby eliminating my own 3 hour quiet time each afternoon...spent cleaning up the morning’s disasters, puttering away at little projects, or procrastinating to my heart’s content.
Come to think of it, my energy may be best spent trying to deal with the repercussions of everyone else’s New Year’s Resolutions! Here we are – only a week into 2009 and already I am in over my head.
This brings me to “numero uno” on my list of Resolution possibilities. Stop procrastinating. However, if I choose that one, this book/blog will never get written. Writing happens to be my prime means of procrastination when there are other more important things to get done around the house. And that just wouldn’t be fair to you now would it?
Then there is the resolve to eat less, exercise more...but I prefer to be realistic about these things. Besides, I have an unfair advantage as I am spending the better part of my day chasing two little ones, packing around my 18lb. son, and elevating my heart rate through sheer frustration. Who needs a treadmill? Not to mention the fact that I am too busy cleaning up messes, shovelling food “airplane style” into little mouths and intercepting flying utensils to finish the food on my plate at any given meal.
You see my predicament? The list is long and inappropriate. Spend less money more wisely. Overdone. Take more time for myself. Highly unlikely. Grit my teeth less and count to ten first before yelling. Definitely one to consider; however as an educator I am well aware that goals should always be meaningful, measurable and MANAGEABLE. So on and on it goes.
I’m tempted to stick with my decision of prior years to go without a New Year’s Resolution. After all, my family seems to be making enough resolutions to go around. My husband has apparently resolved to assist me in gaining back all the weight I lost last year, by filling my Christmas stocking with a year’s supply of Ferrero Rocher, Lindt and Toffifee chocolate. My once happy, easy going son is resolving to cut all his teeth simultaneously... and generously ensuring the rest of us share in his pain and misery. And let us not forget my daughter, who has recently resolved to give up her nasty habit of daytime napping, thereby eliminating my own 3 hour quiet time each afternoon...spent cleaning up the morning’s disasters, puttering away at little projects, or procrastinating to my heart’s content.
Come to think of it, my energy may be best spent trying to deal with the repercussions of everyone else’s New Year’s Resolutions! Here we are – only a week into 2009 and already I am in over my head.

Comments