Pursuit


I will never forget the first time my son told me he loved me...of his own accord, without any prompting or initiation on my part.

We had gone to the lake for the afternoon to celebrate with friends as their daughter turned seven. Noticing my children playing happily at their father’s feet while he chatted with an old friend, I stole a few moments to visit the restroom.

I had only been gone five minutes, but as I hurried back down the path returning to the festivities, I heard the unmistakable wailings of my middle child. Sure enough, rounding a corner I saw him. He had strayed from his father’s side and now stood near the path to the restrooms: visibly distraught and looking around in a panic for (most likely) me. A friend of ours knelt beside him; she turned his attention to me as I came into view. Relief flooded his tear-stained face and he raced down the path into my more-than-willing arms. Giggling as she followed him, my friend informed me that when she had asked him what was wrong, he announced that his mom was “gone forEVer!”

Kissing his cheek and hugging him tight, I asked my two year old son why he had been crying…and pointed to only steps away where his dad and sister had been the entire time.
You’re okay,” I assured him. You were playing with Dad and Molly.”

But I don’t want you to go without me!” he began. Because I was looking for you!...Because I missed you…Because I love you!

I’m quite sure at that moment a huge smile broke out on my face as I squeezed my boy even tighter. We rejoined the others and he remained at my side for much of the rest of the day.

Later that night I replayed the incident in my head, reveling in the thought of how much my little boy loves me, my heart warmed to hear it from him so matter-of-factly.

Isn’t that just like our heavenly father? Not a moment goes by when we have strayed from His side that He will not go looking for us. Because He loves us!..He desires intimacy with us enough that He chooses to pursue us. Read the prophet Isaiah’s words and know that God is speaking to you, His child:

“…Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine. When you go through deep waters and great trouble, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown! When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; flames will not consume you. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour…you are precious to me. You are honored, and I love you.” {chapter 43}

When you let the business of life encroach upon your personal time with Him, when you forget to “do life” with Him, whenever you stray from His side, remember…

He is missing you.

He is looking for you.

Because He loves you.

Comments

Popular Posts