When She Grows Up...

I remember a big debate between our school staff and the PTA back in my teaching days - before I was a parent.  The kindergarten parents were upset over the lack of a Kindergarten graduation ceremony, and the teachers/staff of the school were increasingly weary of the number of "graduations" happening in schools these days.  First Kindergarten Grad, then Grade Six grad (a HUGE deal in our school, which saw many of these 12 year old girls spending outrageous amounts of money on prom-like dresses, all for a 45 minute ceremony in our school gymnasium...) then Grade Nine grad as they moved from Junior High (Canadian) to High School.  It just seemed like too much.  I didn't get into the debate too much...and I'm not here to debate it any further.

That being said...my eldest "graduated" from Kindergarten at the beginning of June.  Being a parent gave me a slightly different perspective on the whole matter.  I will admit that my husband and I thought it was a bit over the top when they played "Pomp and Circumstance" as we escorted our graduate down the centre aisle of the gym, but we couldn't deny her enthusiasm over the event.  And we were more than willing to celebrate what was not only a great year academically for her, but a monumental year in her spiritual growth thanks to her teachers, fellow students and the school in general.  Add to that all the fun Hawaiian protocol and tradition and it truly added up to a great memory for our family.

Since then I've attended other Kindergarten graduations, as well as seen countless photos and heard the stories of many other such events.  One element that seems to be present in each and every one of these ceremonies is the "When I grow up, I want to be..." component.

I suppose it's fun someday in the future to look back and see the aspirations of all these unsullied Kindergarteners.  And it certainly provides entertainment for the audience at these celebrations.  Oohs and Aaahs burst forth at the children who declare their desire to be doctors and teachers, while giggles are  the reward for the little girl who sweetly professes her aspirations toward becoming "a princess/ballerina/unicorn."

Once again, it's got me thinking (do I really have time for all this contemplation?).  Specifically, about the dreams and hopes I have for my kids.  My husband and I often have long cozy talks about how we can cultivate the talents and abilities we see in our children in order to best lead them in the direction that God has for their lives.  We wrestle with what is noble and what is selfish.  Sometimes we feel confident...sometimes we feel totally unequipped.

To be honest...I've decided that in the end, I only have one hope for our kids' futures, and it is this:

 that they would love and serve Jesus first and best.

This past year of Kindergarten taught me a lot.  As a teacher I have the Alberta Program of Studies and all kinds of academic rubrics at the forefront of my mind when watching my child go through the education system.  It's the filter with which I judge the efficacy of their education I guess.  But as a MOM, I'm learning I have a different filter through which I assess.  It wasn't long into the year, and we saw something amazing happening in Kindergarten that altered our hopes for our children's education and set a new bar of expectations for our kids' futures.

Sure, we were impressed with the teachers' skill and proficiency at teaching the Three R's.  They knew their stuff and it was working.  The academics were all there, but underlying all of it and creating a different tone than we have ever seen was their heart for Jesus, and their heart for giving the students more and more of Him too.  They didn't just teach my kid or facilitate learning...they discipled her.  The classroom was a place of praise (and dancing!...oh the dancing!!), of daily listening for the voice of the Lord and hands-on prayer time for the myriad of requests these young hearts brought to the circle.  Each time I sat in as a guest I cried - out of gratitude and awe at this opportunity and environment my daughter was blessed to be a part of.  I felt humbled by the love these kids had for Jesus, for the evidence of the Holy Spirit at work in and THROUGH them, and their desire to serve Him!  Thanks to these Jesus-loving teachers, Kindergarten was doing this for these blessed 18 or so children.  And most importantly...Kindergarten was doing this for my daughter!  We were so thankful.

That settled it.  Gone were the plans, hopes and dreams I held for the education of my firstborn.  What replaced them was the gutteral longing for her and all my kids to love and serve Jesus best.  To be known for an unabashed love for Him that causes her to seek Him first in all things, being able to say He is indeed her best friend.   I hope to watch her love her neighbour as herself, worship with freedom, and glory in the power of the Holy Spirit as she seeks His work of Sanctification.  And then after watching her follow her primary calling in life - a calling unto Him -  I'll cheer as she steps into the role He created her for...her success in life measured simply by her knowledge of who she is in Christ, and her relationship with the Creator of the World.

Now that (in my opinion) is worth a little "Pomp and Circumstance."  And if all of that is in place...I'll be the proudest  mother of a princess/ballerina/unicorn that you ever did see!






Comments

Doug said…
Great blog KaraLyn!! The greater part of our responsibility as parents (and grandparents) is teaching and culturing impressionable minds to make life's decisions and we want those decisions made on the basis of a live devoted to and centered on Christ. It's just so gratifying to watch children grow up knowing that that life is already immersed in the "lifestyle" of serving a loving and caring Savior.

Popular Posts